Pages

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Review of Wen Spencer's book Eight Million Gods

Wen Spencer's Eight Million Gods is an great story set in modern day Japan.  The story has a very anime feel to it and the action moves very quickly.  Once I picked it up I didn't want to put it down.  I ended up reading it twice.  I really like how the story takes the reader on a up close and personal journey through Japanese spirituality.  As usual Wen Spencer has characters with real problems that still manage to kick some butt.  At this point I should tell you something I didn't like about the book but I cant really think of anything.

   The main character Nikki Delaney has a mental disorder which forces her to write horrible scenes.  She has painstakingly turned this disability into an asset by harnessing it to write horror novels.  The problem is her latest story doesn't seem to be a story, since her scenes keep coming true.  The story follows her as she unravels just what her "disability" is, and what she must do to keep her writing from becoming horrible reality.  This book could be a sad horror story, but Wen Spencer instead made it an adventure through the paranormal side of Japan.  She even introduces some of the eight million gods.

This book will appeal to anyone who likes urban fantasy, or paranormal novels.  Be warned though you may end up a total Wen Spencer fan.  I know I am.

This book is published by Baen and can be found at most bookstores as well as www.amazon.com and Baen's Ebook store baenebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment